Sunday, August 24, 2008

Billi on Hajj???

What the heck does that title even mean? Well, if you don't happen to be one of the 20% of humanity that are Indian, you'd be justified in asking that question.

There's a popular Hindi saying that goes "Sau chuhe khaake billi challi Hajj pe" that literally translates to "The cat ate a hundred mice and then went on a pilgrimage to Mecca" (Billi = Cat; Hajj = pilgrimage to Mecca). It's a sarcastic reference made to a person that puts on a holier-than-thou attitude inspite of having a way-less-than-pristine past. However, the way I see it, it could also have a positive connotation - It could be a reference to a person that has turned a new leaf. I'd like to think that I am such a person. Atleast that's what those near and dear to me, whose opinions I trust, have told me.... That I've changed a lot over the last decade, (almost) all of it for the better.

If that is the case, I wasn't able to do it without help - A lot of help infact! I credit the Sahaj Marg system 100% for all of these changes. This is an ancient system of yoga meditation. It has no pretensions about being anything but a spiritual system. Infact, it has no pretensions whatsoever as far as I can tell, and expects it's adherents to display a similar simplicity. It is taught by the Shri Ram Chandra Mission, named after it's founder.

The weird part is that none of these changes were enforced from outside - They all arose from my own deep-seated wish to change myself for the better. And this wish was continuously nurtured by this system of meditation.

On these pages, I hope to share my own first-hand Sahaj Marg experiences with you. Read on and let me know what you think. Hasta la vista, baby!
:)

No comments: